K-1 Fianc? Visa


United States citizens can petition to bring their fianc? to the United States for the purpose of getting married. The U.S. government understands that the U.S. citizen and the fianc? might reside in different countries and want to avoid unnecessary travel or simply just want to get married in the United States. They created the K-1 visa to help the U.S. citizen and their fianc? to be together.

In order qualify for a K-1 visa, the U.S. citizen petitioner and the beneficiary must have personally met within the past two years, are both free to marry, and intend on getting married within 90 days of the beneficiary?s entrance into the United States.

The process begins with the U.S. citizen filing an I-129F petition in the United States with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The package must contain the required forms, passport photos, documentation of relationship, and personal sign statements of their intent to get married. ?After about three to five months, the USCIS will review the I-129F package.

If USCIS approves the I-129F, the application will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC) for processing. After processing at the NVC for about a month, the package is forwarded to the local U.S. consulate that has jurisdiction to your fianc? residence. The U.S. Consulate will send the fianc? a list of required documents including birth certificates, police records, and evidence of the freedom to marry.

After the U.S. Consulate has reviewed the package, the consulate will schedule an interview with the fianc?. The fianc? will have to bring a seal envelope containing the medical exam and original official documents. The officer will review the documentation and interview your fianc? to ensure that the relationship is not fraudulent and to look for possible reasons why they would be inadmissible. If the fianc? has a child wants to bring their child to the United States also, the fianc? should submit the required documents for their child also.

The consular officer will inform the fianc? if the visa is approved after the interview. If the K-1 visa is approved, the officer will take the fianc??s passport to imprint the new visa. The passport will be mailed to the fianc? within 5 business days. The fianc??s child will receive a K-2 visa that will allow them to enter the United States.

The fianc? will receive a six month visa or a visa to the date the fianc??s passport expires. After the fianc? enters the United States, they must marry the petitioner within 90 days. The fianc? will then have to file for adjustment of status to obtain U.S. permanent resident status.